Senior Software Engineer, Backend
We are looking for an experienced Senior Backend Software Engineer to join our teams in Tallinn. Bolt engineering teams are working on unique product challenges: complex algorithms for demand prediction, optimal real-time pricing, routing, fraud detection, distributed systems and much more.
Bolt is one of the fastest-growing tech companies in Europe and Africa, with over 100 million customers in 45+ countries. We’re a global team of more than 100 nationalities joined on a common mission – to make cities for people, not cars. And we need you to make it happen!
About the role
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting, designing, developing, and deploying Bolt's growing backend systems. That will mostly happen via coding in Node.js and TypeScript (PS: no previous experience with Node.js is needed).
You will be closely collaborating with key internal stakeholders to determine how to scalably design backend systems and APIs to meet their needs.
Your daily adventures will include:
- Architecting, designing, developing, and deploying Bolt's growing backend systems
- Contributing ideas and constructive feedback to our product development roadmap
- Helping lead features/initiatives from idea to positive execution
- Working closely with Product to slice and dice scope and deliver piece by piece
- Sharing your knowledge by giving tech talks, and promoting appropriate tech and engineering best practices in and outside of the team
We are not really looking for Node.js experts, but for cross-language engineers for whom a specific stack is just a tool to solve a problem, not the solution itself.
- You have experience of thriving in an environment that has a fast customer-feedback cycle and having empathy for the end-user
- You are great at making data-driven and metric-driven decisions
- You have a drive for leading initiatives and features till the end, even if the last mile is the hardest
- You feel at home with microservice architecture and you are experienced in API design
- You have strong principles towards writing clean, simple, secure, and maintainable code
- You have a deep understanding of how to write readable, testable, maintainable, and performant code
- Familiarity with any cloud systems (AWS, Azure, Google app engine) is preferred
- Interest in real-time and asynchronous systems is an advantage
- Preferred experience in working with relational databases
- Experience building distributed high-volume systems and running highly available systems is an advantage
Experience is great, but what we really look for is drive, intelligence, and integrity. So even if you don’t tick every box, please consider applying if you feel you’re the kind of person described above!
Become part of our Engineering team
Our engineers are at the forefront of innovating one of the largest industries in the world — transport. Are you up for the challenge?
Why you’ll love it here:
- Play a direct role in shaping the future of mobility.
- Impact millions of customers and partners in 500+ cities across 45 countries.
- Work in fast-moving autonomous teams with some of the smartest people in the world.
- Accelerate your professional growth with unique career opportunities.
- Get a rewarding salary and stock option package that lets you focus on doing your best work.
- Enjoy the flexibility of working in a hybrid mode.
- Take care of your physical and mental health with our wellness perks.
*Some perks may differ depending on your location.