Staff UX Researcher
We are looking for an experienced Senior or Staff-level UX Researcher to lead our UX research function for our Drivers in our Ride-hailing product vertical.
Please note that we are hiring locally in Berlin only, and Bolt will not be able to support your relocation. However, relocation to Tallinn (our HQ) could be supported. If this role is interesting to you, and you’re currently located outside of Berlin, please consider this role in Tallinn, Estonia instead.
Bolt is one of the fastest-growing tech companies in Europe and Africa, with over 150 million customers in 45+ countries. We’re a global team of more than 100 nationalities joined on a common mission – to make cities for people, not cars. And we need you to make it happen!
About the role
Every day, tens of millions of people across the world use Bolt's ride-hailing service to move around. Ridehailing is helping people shift from private cars to shared mobility. By leading this process, we improve people’s quality of life.
This is powered by our drivers, the livelihood of our platform. Happy drivers equal happy riders and therefore we aim to treat them better than our competitors. We run our operations frugally and efficiently so that we can charge our drivers low commissions.
You will become the go-to-person for any user research related to drivers around the globe. You will conduct qualitative and quantitative research from tactical to business-critical. You will team up with Product Managers, Product Designers and Product Leadership to develop the best ways to retain drivers, keep them engaged and convince new drivers to join our platform.
Your daily adventures will include:
- Conduct rigorous research independently, from tactical to strategic, using a wide range of qual and quant methods, e.g. remote interviews, field visits, ethnography, surveys, benchmark studies, server logs and online experiments (A/B testing).
- Deliver actionable insights in impactful and creative ways that meet your teams' needs, inspires their product and design decisions and, most importantly, triggers the necessary actions.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners (Designers, Product Managers, Analysts and Customer Support) in your area throughout the entire product development lifecycle to make sure the right things get built the right way
- Lead all research in your area; help your teams identify and prioritize their research needs based on their priorities and business goals; define a research strategy and maintain a research roadmap that caters to their needs.
- Establish the research function in your area; educate and advocate for UX research; develop your teams' understanding of the value of qualitative research; define collaboratively when and how to best work with you.
- Empower and support PMs and Designers to run their own research activities.
- Work closely with the Research Lead on the Rider-side.
- You are passionate about improving mobility in urban areas and supporting ride-hailing drivers.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience of delivering qualitative and quantitative UX Research in 2 or more commercial environments.
- You have a minimum of 3 years of experience of leading research of an entire area (e.g. business unit, vertical, etc), i.e. being responsible for initiating, planning and delivering research as well as working directly w/ product leadership.
- You are a seasoned UX practitioner with a portfolio of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative methods; ready to apply them on tactical, strategic and business-critical questions, always to the highest standards of rigor and quality; able to run high-level complexity research studies.
- You are a strong commercial awareness and business acumen: able to connect qualitative insights w/ quantitative insights and business or product metrics; can translate UX insights into business language and influence teams who often turn to business-metrics for their decision-making.
- You are a strong communicator who adapts their communication style to the needs of their teams; able to distill complex ideas and package them for easy consumption; applying verbal and visual forms of communication as well as storytelling; excellent English, verbally and written.
- You are a strong relationship builder who is able to seek out key decision makers across the product domain and in adjacent functional areas and to build a strong and trusting relationships with them.
- You are a self-sufficient research professional who loves to be in the driver's seat and work autonomously.
- You thrive in an agile, ever-changing, and demanding environment.
- You are a team player who welcomes opportunities to collaborate with colleagues in their product domain, shares their research superpowers freely and never stops grooming their own research skills.
- You have a Bachelor, Master's or PhD degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Statistics, Psychology, Anthropology, or related field.
- Having experience in running international research for a global product is strongly preferred.
- Having experience working in a big global product company and navigating big organizations effectively is preferred.
- Having full professional fluency a second language, for example Polish, Romanian, Spanish is an advantage.
- Having experience in business or product analytics is an advantage.
Experience is great, but what we really look for is drive, intelligence, and integrity. So even if you don’t tick every box, please consider applying if you feel you’re the kind of person described above!
Become part of our Product & Design team
Our Product and Design teams are the ultimate problem solvers. We take on complicated everyday issues and strive to find the best solutions. As a result, our work presents enormous opportunities to research, apply new insights, and grow.
Why you’ll love it here:
- Play a direct role in shaping the future of mobility.
- Impact millions of customers and partners in 500+ cities across 45 countries.
- Work in fast-moving autonomous teams with some of the smartest people in the world.
- Accelerate your professional growth with unique career opportunities.
- Get a rewarding salary and stock option package that lets you focus on doing your best work.
- Enjoy the flexibility of working in a hybrid mode.
- Take care of your physical and mental health with our wellness perks.
*Some perks may differ depending on your location.